Currently, the APC’s top priority is preserving the historic structures on the Beltline, a 22-mile loop that will provide trails, parks and transportation. Over the past 27 years, the APC has assisted in saving such historic buildings as the Peters House, Grant Mansion, Winecoff Hotel, Glenn Building, Fulton Bag and Cotton Mill, Margaret Mitchell House, Carriage Works, King Plow Arts Center, 1901 Bank of America building, and 1924 Rich’s building. Neighborhoods and districts like Grant Park, Inman Park, Fairlie-Poplar, West End, Druid Hills, Reynoldstown, Adair Park, Midtown, Brookwood Hills, Mozely Park, Whittier Mill, Cabbagetown and Martin Luther King Jr./Sweet Auburn have also been protected with APC support. In December 2001 the APC purchased the 1856 Grant Mansion in Grant Park, one of two antebellum houses left in Atlanta, for its headquarters and is restoring it as a house museum and resource center. Since 2001, the APC has placed 67 sites on its Most Endangered Historic Places lists.
The APC was also instrumental in the passage of the city’s 1989 Preservation Ordinance, which
provides legal protection for endangered historic buildings, sites and neighborhoods.
Peters House, 1883
The APC educates metro area residents and visitors of all ages about the
benefits of protecting and recycling historic structures. Its 80 trained volunteers lead 9,000 people a
year on regularly scheduled guided walking tours of the Fox Theatre and six historic districts. The
center also provides popular classroom programs on architecture and community planning for 3,000
students a year. Annual APC workshops on commercial and residential rehabilitation target
developers, homeowners and Realtors.