Presented by the Buidings Worth Saving
Committee of the Atlanta Preservation Center:
2003 List of Endangered Buildings:
The Atlanta Constitution Building, 1947
Address: 143 Alabama Street, SW
Owner/Contacts: Ron Keller, Atlanta Development Authority,
Housing The Atlanta Constitution from 1947 to 1953 and then offices of the Georgia Power Company, this five–story building was designed by Robert & Company and is one of the few art moderne buildings left in Atlanta. Its curved corners, horizontal emphasis at the windows, prow-like end and terraced roof decks are common elements of this style of architecture.
Along the Forsyth Street side was a bas-relief sculpture depicting the History of the Press by Atlanta Artist Julian Harris; it is now installed in the Georgia World Congress Center MARTA station. An aluminum and terrazzo medallion depicting the state seal of Georgia was imbedded in the floor of the entrance and is currently on display in the entrance of McElreath Hall at the Atlanta History Center.