Update on Status of 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007 Most Endangered Historic Places
The historic places are in alphabetical order by year of listing.
- 11 Atlanta Public Elementary Schools built from 1907-1932
Slaton Elementary (1907) -- Refurbished as a Charter School; burned in 2003 and reopened in 2005.
- Crogman Elementary (1923) -- Redeveloped as apartments by Atlanta Development Authority.
- Highland Elementary (1911) – Redeveloped as condominiums by Streetside Developers
- Bolton Elementary (1932) – Demolished.
- Brookhaven Neighborhood (dating from 1910) – Local designation defeated by 11 votes in 2002.
- Craigie House (1910), 1204 Piedmont Ave. – DAR started restoration; sold building to Inman Park Properties, which plans to restore it
- Dwoskins Building (1910), 757-763 Peachtree St. – Sold by Center for the Visually Impaired to St. Mark Methodist Church and Lutheran Church of the Redeemer; slated to be torn down for an office tower.
- Glenn Building (1923), 120 Marietta St. – Redeveloped as a boutique hotel by Legacy Property Group. The Glenn Hotel opened in fall 2005.
- Georgia Tech’s Hightower Textile Engineering Building (1949), 725 Atlantic Drive – Demolished by Georgia Tech.
- Medical Arts Building (1927), 384 Peachtree St.—Owned by Kamran Deljou, 404-350-7190; redevelopment plans never materialized.
- Peters House (1883), 179 Ponce de Leon Ave. – Donation of house in March 2007 by owner S.D.H. Development Co. to Savannah College of Art and Design, which has started a two-year,$2.2 million restoration; Jolly Development is building condominiums on the North Ave. and Myrtle St. sides of the property.
- Pratt Engineering/Pullman Co. (1900-1920s), 225 Rogers Street – Georgia Building Authority still has no plans for property.
- Rich-Dillon Houses (1890-1905), 490 and 502 Pryor St. – Demolished for condominiums in 2001.
- Spring Hill (1928), 1020 Spring St. – No current threat.
- Judge William Wilson House (1856-59), 501 Fairburn Rd. – Building was stabilized by owner, Southwest Hospital and Medical Center; however, the hospital closed in January 2005.
- The Alcoa Building aka The Davis Building at the Temple (1955-57), 1615 Peachtree St. – Demolished in 2004.
- The Atlanta Constitution Building (1947), 143 Alabama St. – Demolition for Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal set with City Council vote to transfer property to Georgia Dept. of Transportation in October 2005.
- Concordia Hall (1893), 201 Mitchell St.
- Fire Station #11 (1907), 30 North Ave. – Redeveloped as a pub, The Spotted Dog, which opened in 2006.
- Hanson Motor Car Co. (1917-1919), 1066 Murphy Ave. –Demolished in May 2005.
- Herndon Building (1924), 239 Auburn Ave. --
- Perry “Dream” House (1922), 996 Simpson St. --
- Peters House (1883), 179 Ponce de Leon Ave. -- Peters House (1883), 179 Ponce de Leon Ave. – Donation of house in March 2007 by owner S.D.H. Development Co. to Savannah College of Art and Design, which has started a two-year,$2.2 million restoration; Jolly Development is building condominiums on the North Ave. and Myrtle St. sides of the property.
- Pitts House and Dairy Farm (1919), 3105 Cascade Rd. – Demolished in 2007.
- Traffic Corridor Endangerment of Historic Neighborhoods
- Trust Company of Georgia Branch Bank (1965), 2160 Monroe Dr. Redevelopment by Bob Amick as a restaurant, piebar, which opened in 2005.
- 2795 Peachtree Road Apartments (1920s), Peachtree and Rumson roads – demolished in 2003.
- Upton Hotel (1910), 236 Trinity Ave.
- Van Winkle Gin and Machinery Works aka Murray Mill (1893), 1200 Foster St. – Under contract to apartment developer, Gables Residential.
- Winecoff Hotel (1913), 176 Peachtree St. – Being redeveloped as a boutique hotel by Kelco/FB Winecoff LLC. Renamed The Ellis Hotel, it is scheduled to open by the end of 2007.
- Academy of Medicine (1941), 875 West Peachtree Street – Board has discontinued talks with a developer to preserve the building.
- Atlanta Public Schools, five buildings from 1912 to 1956
Adair Park Elementary (1912)
Anderson Park Elementary (1956)
John Wesley Dobbs Elementary (1951)
Lakewood Heights Elementary (1932)
Ida B. Williams Kindergarten (c. 1912-1915)
- Auburn/Edgewood Avenue Commercial District (1929-1968), Auburn and Edgewood avenues, west of I-75-85 – Demolition and new development started in 2006.
- Brother Juniper’s (1922), 1035 Peachtree St. -- Owned by Dewberry Capital
- DuPre Manufacturing Co. a/k/a The Masquerade (c.1901) – Redevelopment as condominiums by South East Capital Partners with neighborhood input on hold.
- Huff-Feldman House (1953), 4055 Randall Mill Road, NW –
- Paces Ferry Bridge over the Chattahoochee River a/k/a Hermi’s Bridge (1903) – The Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission was to discuss the future of the bridge at its next meeting in March 2007.
- Paschal’s Restaurant and Motel (1959 and 1967), 830 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. – Restaurant owner in negotiations to purchase it from Clark/Atlanta University.
- Peachtree Heights West Neighborhood (1911-1920s), area including portions of Peachtree Battle Ave., Woodward Way, Habersham Rd., and Andrews Dr. and all of Cherokee and Rivers Rd. – Residents defeated Historic Overly District by one vote in 2006.
- Peachtree Hills Apartments (1938), 2278 Virginia Place, NE -- Developer of retirement community continues to advertise for home owners.
- Ponce de Leon Methodist Episcopal Church a/k/a The Abbey (1915), 163 Ponce de Leon Ave. – Purchased in spring 2006 by St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church, which is using it for services while restoring it.
- Upchurch-Kelley House and Gardens (1933), 4141 Wieuca Road – Property was cleared in 2006.
- Withers House (1905), 1177 Avon Ave. – Demolished by the owner, Cathedral of Faith Church of God in Christ, in July 2006 before submitting replacement plan to Atlanta Urban Design Commission.
- John Wesley Dobbs House (circa 1890), 540 John Wesley Dobbs Ave., NE – Dr. Ben Blackburn needs funding to restore the house.
- Fort McPherson Staff Row and Old Post Area, 1889-1910, Fort McPherson, SW – McPherson Planning Local Redevelopment Authority is handling reuse of the property.
- L.P. Grant Park (1883), 800 Cherokee Ave., SE – Zoo Atlanta plans to increase parking to 2400 spaces and expand its borders inside the park.
- Gulf Oil Building (1951), 131 Ponce de Leon Ave., NW – Owned by Thirty-Third Latitude Properties, LLC.
- Interlocking Tower for Terminal Station (1905), on the railroad tracks behind Norfolk-Southern building, 125 Spring St.
- Lakewood Fairgrounds (1915-16), 2000 Lakewood Ave., SW – Atlanta Development Authority in charge of redevelopment of property.
- Macy’s Department Store (1927), 180 Peachtree St., NW – Owned by New York-based real estate investor group headed by David Werner.
- Monroe Railroad Embankment (1839-41), underneath Philips Dr.
- Morris Brown College historic buildings, Fountain Hall, Gaines Hall and Furber Cottage (1869-1899), 643 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., SW – College’s finances are uncertain.
- Randolph-Lucas House (1924), 2495 Peachtree Rd., NW – Rezoning of property by 2500 Peachtree Street Condominium Association to demolish it is on hold.
- Rufus M. Rose House (1901), 537 Peachtree St., NW – owned by Vincent Castelli of American News Network.