Presented by the Buildings Worth Saving
Committee of the Atlanta Preservation Center :

2005 List of Endangered Buildings:

Paces Ferry Bridge over the Chattahoochee a/k/a Hermi’s Bridge, 1903
Address: Paces Ferry between The Lovett School and Canoe, a restaurant
Owner/Contact: Owner unknown; contact is Cecil Alexander, 404-261-9230
Threat: Neglect caused by dispute over responsibility for maintenance between Fulton and Cobb counties


This historic iron bridge replaced Hardy Pace’s ferry, which started operation before Atlanta was incorporated. The bridge was built by the Cotton States Engineering Co. at a cost of about $10,000. It was jointly financed by Fulton and Cobb counties to ease traffic bottlenecks across the Chattahoochee . The bridge was renamed for Hermi Alexander in 1984 after she was killed in an automobile accident by a drunk driver. Cecil Alexander is raising funds for paint, maintenance and a structural assessment. The Vinings Historic Preservation Society is also interested in preserving the bridge.





<< Back






 

 

 

Atlanta Preservation Center
327 St. Paul Avenue SE
Atlanta, Georgia 30312-3129
www.preserveatlanta.com
Main No. 404-688-3353
Tour Hotline 404-688-3350
Fax 404-688-3357
info@preserveatlanta.com

 

Site design and hosting by Zenith Design Group